Anatomy of This Blog

Anatomy of this blog: a compilation of poetry--either written by myself or others--artwork, thoughts, emotions; any form of creativity.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

On the Outside, Looking In

Happy Humpday Ya'll!


I didn't post yesterday *gasp* because it was a verrrrry busy day. I hope I haven't left you all in suspense--you can breathe again, I'm back!

Despite my online absence yesterday, I was thinking of the topic for my latest post. I was riding the university bus after class when we passed one of the esteemed Rutgers academic buildings. Mind you it was night time, so the lighted rooms were clear to see into from the inside of my rusted transportation beast--I am a firm believer that there is beauty and wonder in the most mundane of things, if only we have the patience and imagination to see it. As I passed this academic building, I got a little glimpse into each class being held at that moment. In one room, two students were standing in the front of the class, most likely presenting something, and I caught a few smiles from the students watching. Another room had, from what I could gather, a most enthusiastic professor waving her arms in the air, speaking of something with passion. I couldn't stop thinking about those rooms with the entertained students and lively professors for the entirety of that bus ride. Even now I am amazed by that brief, yet everlasting and unforgettable scene.


This is feeling very 'Girl on the Train' Bri....


Don't worry, I'm not involved in any type of murder mystery....


..that I am aware of..


That's besides the point! What struck me so much about this is that each room contained different people from different places, with different backgrounds, pursuing different degrees, at different points in their life (wow, that's a lot of 'different's), and yet they all came together in this one little room at the exact same time to learn the same thing. It's as if each room was their own world. I was seeing each as an observer looking in, but they were fully unaware of the bustling of the streets outside, or the "worlds" right on the other sides of their own walls--or me, for that matter. Each individual remaining in tune with what was happening in their room, what was happening in that present moment. It was almost like an out-of-body experience: physically I was riding this overcrowded, deafening, odorous bus, but mentally I was exported for a brief second into each of their worlds, smiling as I saw the students smiling, or furrowing my eyebrows as I saw that professor discussing something quite heatedly. With a bump in the road, I came back to reality, but it was a bittersweet moment. I know, I know, no one thinks this deeply about a building they passed on the bus, but it's just the way my brain interacts with the world around me in an attempt to make sense of it all. Is this what 'La La Land' is about? 

Another moment in time that I ceaselessly think about this kind of thing is when I am entrapped in heavy traffic. Most people hate traffic, but for me it's an excuse to blast music and sing (not so well, I'll admit) as loudly as possible! When I'm not breaking the glass with my voice, I like to imagine the lives of each of the passengers in their cars. Where are they all going? Where have they all been? What was their day like today? All of these strangers that I have never met in my life, and most likely will never see again, converge to be at the exact same place as me in that given point of time. It makes you feel so small in this world, that there are so many people living their own lives that don't include you in it. Individuals whose paths may never cross yours, yet they continue on to some unknown future. It gives you a different perspective of those around you. Rather than disregarding them as 'just strangers', maybe recognize them as individual souls on the most epic hike that is their life.

Maybe that's what links us all as a human race...

Start looking more closely, moths. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment