Anatomy of This Blog

Anatomy of this blog: a compilation of poetry--either written by myself or others--artwork, thoughts, emotions; any form of creativity.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Entitlement


Hello beautiful moths.

I want to focus today's topic on animals, given that I am spending my life dedicated to them as a career. Due to that fact, it may make me a little biased when it comes to human-animal conflicts, but there is a certain aspect of humans' (well, most humans') attitude towards animals that both saddens and irks me to no end. Because of the privilege humans have through the evolutionary arms race, I feel that we have an obligation to ensure the preservation and protection of all things living on this planet, although those that hold the highest power don't necessarily agree or treat that statement as a pressing matter at the moment.

Humans have a twisted sense of entitlement to this planet. Humans set the rules, make the decisions for how Earth is to be treated, and how it is to be depleted. When did this theoretical hierarchy come to light? Where in the scope of time did humans lose their connection with nature. Humans see themselves as a higher being rather than a part of a living system, part of a cycle that, due to our ignorance, has been disrupted. We don’t respect the source of our food, but rather have become desensitized to the fact that we are decimating another species’ population to a point of excess. That’s the problem, isn’t it? Excess. We take more than we need. A pride of lions does not kill for sport, nor do they kill more than is necessary. They work together to capture one wildebeest or one water buffalo, in order to stave off starvation and survive another day. See, we have lost touch with the fact that we are a predator in the food chain. We are accustomed to going to the supermarket and buying meat that has been killed and processed for us. Because of that privilege, we are detached. We aren’t able to appreciate the work that goes into raising an animal, caring for it, and in turn sacrificing its life so that we may have nourishment. 

I went to the farm across the street from me today to visit with the animals, whose fate is grim. The pigs gallop around in their concrete pens, seemingly excited at my presence as they immediately approach me. I watched as some touched snouts with another pig in the adjacent pen, as if securing their bond with one another. Like two people standing with their foreheads touching, synchronizing their breaths. The biggest pig approached as I came near, perhaps seeking companionship as she was alone in her pen. I scratched behind her wide ears and along the curves of her snout as she grunted in satisfaction, even closing her eyes, as if comforted. It almost made me cry thinking of how sweet her disposition was, and knowing what her fate was destined to be as an animal of production. I saw in her eyes a being capable of affection, understanding, and fear. It hurt to leave her to such a life. 
After, I paid a visit to the cows, who had much to say in their melodic moos once they had seen me approaching them. It’s hard to deny that a creature so much bigger than us has a higher capacity for emotions. They all stick their large heads out of the metal barriers as I walk by, curious of my scents and possible motives. As soon as I put my hand to their strong necks, I am stricken by how powerful, yet seemingly harmless, these gentle giants are. The fur is comfortingly soft, and cow “282” (according to the tags attached to its ears) extended out its head as I supplied some, much appreciated, scratches. I offered them some hay that lay out of reach to them, which they kindly accepted. I found that being too close to them meant my shirt being licked, which I found quite hysterical the way their big tongues flailed in the air. Up close, they are just the most beautiful creatures, and when I looked into their eyes, I could see not just an empty stare, but a soul looking back at me. Not some mindless beast to be coldly taken advantage of. But rather to be respected. Leaving them with a handful of hay, I said my goodbyes. Until tomorrow.

Before I end this rant, I want to emphasize that I don't have anything against hunting or famers that raise cows to eat, as long as it's done in a humane way and every part of the animal is being utilized. What I do have a problem with are mass production farms or hunting just for the sake of killing an animal. It's all about respect and plain decency. 

Appreciate and respect all living beings, moths. xo


No comments:

Post a Comment