Anatomy of This Blog

Anatomy of this blog: a compilation of poetry--either written by myself or others--artwork, thoughts, emotions; any form of creativity.

Monday, December 24, 2018

Closed Windows

I'm 10.
It's a warm summer's day. So much brightness. 
I'm riding in the back seat of the car as mom and dad
happily hum to whatever's playing on the radio, 
with my brother next to me excitedly yelling at his 
Nintendo DS, dramatically waving his fists to the sky
in frustration. The windows are all rolled down,
filling the car with the smell of freshly cut grass.
My eyes are closed, head leaned to the side, letting
the warmth of the sun kiss my face while the
gentle breeze caresses it. I let my arm hang out of
the window, my hand floating in the air like a surfer 
on calm waters.
Peaceful. 

I'm 22.
It's an overcast summer's day. So much humidity.
I'm riding in the passenger seat of the car as my mom
drives in silence, apart from the humming of the air
conditioning. She has a headache. My brother is in the
back seat, body hunched over, face buried in his phone.
Mindlessly scrolling. The windows are all up, and all I
can smell is the stench of a road-killed skunk seeping
through the vents. My tired eyes fight to stay open as my
head slumps back onto the headrest. Dark shaded
glasses conceal my face. Hands restlessly fidgeting
in my lap.
Anxious.


And I was so quick to grow up.

(b.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment