Anatomy of This Blog

Anatomy of this blog: a compilation of poetry--either written by myself or others--artwork, thoughts, emotions; any form of creativity.

Friday, December 21, 2018

Riptide

It's something o'clock in the morning on
someday of the week. The softest light is 
peeking through the window, having just started to
stretch its rays and touch the earth.
The birds haven't quite woken from their slumbers just yet,
apart from a few lazily singing out their morning tune,
sounding as if they're saying "just five more minutes."
The only other sound is the rhythmic breathing of
someone in a deliciously peaceful sleep lying next to me,
buried in a sea of my soft white comforter.

The light has now started to stretch its fingers across the bed,
tenderly caressing her face and illuminating a
treasure trove of beauty. No sunrise in the world could
convince me of a more breathtaking view than 
the one here in my bed. 
Laying on my side so we're face-to-face,
I reach my hand out to gently touch her cheek,
enamored by the soft rosy hue and 
carefully arranged freckles.

Then, with a deep, life-giving breath in through her nose,
the most heavenly smile appeared beneath my fingers.
First one, then two, sleepy eyelids slowly lifted
to reveal oceans of blue whose rip currents
pulled me in with the promise of never longing for land
again.

And I surrendered to it. Completely.

(b.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment